rekaye1005 on 10 Feb 2004 21:53:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] apache + php + mySQL

thanks for the info.
final question: are php and MySQL current technology for dynamic web pages?
i stopped programming with C, and did not engaged in web stuff,
as the early html did not seem terribly interesting.
it is time to get up to speed. i want to learn current methodologies.
am i on the right track

ron

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Chris Mann
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 9:47 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] apache + php + mySQL

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 15:23, rekaye1005@earthlink.net wrote:
> Trying to upgrade my skills.
> I am looking for a good resource for
>     a) setting up apache-driven web page
>     b) links to MySQL database
>     c) php scripts

 a) - apache.org is full of good stuff. From my experiance, the hardest
part about setting up apache is editing the httpd.conf file. But it's
*generally* well commented so you can pretty tell what needs to go
where.

 b) - Apache doesn't link to mysql per say. It's more of the script you
use, be it php, perl or what not, which leads me to

 c) - There are a ton of great *canned* script out there. Hotscript.com
is a good. Just google for "free php scripts* and watch a few hours go
by. I've learned php and mysql pretty much from hacking up other scripts
to get what I want.

> What would be most helpful is a CASE STUDY where something like this
> has been done.

A case study for setting up apache, php and mysql is almost everwhere on
the net. Just kind of depends on what you want the site to do for you.

> IT work has been hard to find of late.
> I may return to teach in the high school classroom.
> I think a project like this is doable with some of our best local kids.

Umm what kind of project? A apache, mysql php site?

--
Chris Mann, SAGE
Systems Administrator