gabriel rosenkoetter on 16 Feb 2004 17:26:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoiceNet Rumors?

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:20:37PM -0500, Bob Schwier wrote:
> If there is an authentic victim and I don't really care if she (or he)
> is an American citizen or a fourteen year old child of the streets from
> Brazil, a crime has been committed and the burden is on the receiver of
> tainted goods to justify possession.

What about cartoon or CG imagery of obviously underage individuals
partaking in sexual acts.

Is this child porn or not?

(Existing case law is less than clear on this point, I understand.)

The problem is that we do NOT have a global standard for the line
between "child" and "adult", and we don't even have a global
standard for what it's okay for children to do (or what it's okay
for them to have done to them). I mostly agree with US law here, but
I was brought up in this society, so that's predictable. I'm
disinclined to say that what I "fee" to be right necessarily is.

This wouldn't be much of a problem... except that we're dealing with
a global medium on the Internet. The Internet obsoletes national
government, and they'll figure it out eventually, but things will
get worse before they get better.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net