Edmond Kerollis on 21 Feb 2004 04:53:02 -0000

[PLUG] Open Source comes to Philadelphia

Dear Group,
I'd like to thank you for your discussions on this list.  You helped me solve a problem by inference.  I'm attempting to introduce myself to Linux by learning on Knoppix.  I have Knoppix 3.3, and for 4 months I was trying to hook up to the internet ( I have Verizon DSL), and could not figure it out.  Well, someone on this list mentioned that Verizon uses the Computers name to verify the account, and it hit me!!  When you boot up Knoppix, the computer's name is [Knoppix].  So I checked out the name of my Windows ME machine (EDMONDJK), and on Knoppix I did :[Knoppix]:hostname EDMONDJK, and after that used PPPoE and it worked!!!!!  Now I can get on the internet with my Knoppix.  After all that time, that's all it took.
Anyway, if any of you are interested, I came across a convention that is coming to Philadelphia:

N-TEN  The 2004 Nonprofit Technology Conference
http://www.nten.org/ntc
When and Where
Join us in Philadelphia, PA March 25-27, 2004 for the Nonprofit Technology Conference! The conference will be located at the Wyndham Philadelphia at Franklin Plaza.

It's to introduce and discuss OPEN SOURCE alternatives for Nonprofit Organizations.  Also, the day after the conference theirs a Penguin Parade:

Penguin Day March 28 in Philadelphia
http://www.penguinday.org/

So for those three days Philly will be the center of the Open Source World.

Thanks again,
Ed (e.newed)

---