William H. Magill on 28 Feb 2004 23:46:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux on the desktop (was: rationalizing .Mac web pages)

On 28 Feb, 2004, at 09:58, Art Clemons wrote:

Opened in OOO, and re-saved, and re-opened in Word (to simulate sharing
documents between OOO users and Word users) ... none of the aligment was correct. I had to edit the entire
document, re-aligning each point, to the way I wanted it, and the way it
used to be, in Word. And resizing a table, with it's columns,
and bullet points in table cells.

I've had similar problems though going from WordXP to someone running Word2000 and others claim the same problem with docs produced in Word2000 opened by Word97. Word's format changes. I've learned to produce an RTF, PDF and DOC when exchanging documents, and it gets more complicated when dealing with let's say a spreadsheet. Something as simple as font substitution can destroy format as can for example.

One more comment until recently, Word docs had a nasty habit of retaining the old version that had been worked on, with the prior changes available for anyone in the know to see and note who had made the changes. I'm not sure if an update is available for anything older than WordXP. It raised interesting security issues if one sometimes used propietary or secret info that was to be removed after revisions and several people were working on the same doc, and finally a copy was shipped out or posted on a website. In that situation, formatting was less important than security.

Both of these situations are well known "Word" ISSUES in the Mac world.

Every version of Word has modified its document format. (Microsoft describes this as "improving.") For a while, the version of Word which ran on the Mac OS was "advanced" compared to the version available for the PC -- and documents saved on the Mac could not be opened in Word on the PC, unless they were saved in an "old version." The Mac, however, could read any document created in any version of Word for the PC.

The newer versions of Word tend to be capable of reading any of the older versions of Word, but "obviously" not the reverse.

The "changes" issue is a selectable option - historically ON by default. It is one reason why "short" Word documents can take up huge amounts of disk space. I think in XP they finally changed the default.

... and needless to say, these changes in document formats are not well (if at all) documented by Microsoft.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org