Paul on 1 Mar 2004 19:01:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Linux on the desktop

George Langford, Sc.D. wrote:

In the context of whether Linux is ready for the desktop,
yesterday I received notice from my Symantec NAV S/W running on a PC under W98SE that there was a virus in the PLUG Digest Vol. 1 #1106.. Even though Linux is relatively
immune to virus attacks, Linux users appear to be lulled
into a false sense of security that leaves their emails
vulnerable to infections.

I believe we should use anti-virus software under GNU/Linux, if only to protect users of other operating systems, and those who run as root when they shouldn't. AV scanning is usually handled at the mail server, but not every server does it.