George Langford, Sc.D. on 2 Mar 2004 13:27:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Linux on the desktop

Hello PLUG !

Replying to the remarks:

> The latest round of email viruses forge "From:" addresses.
> All it takes for such a virus to hit this list is for an infected
> box to have both the list and one subscriber to it in their
> address book.

Another necessity: An unprotected server acting as a relay.

If the PLUG newsgroup server had effective AV S/W, then the
virus would have been excised from the submission to the
PLUG list and not passed on to the subscribers.

... snippage ....

> Basically, you're implying that Linux is not ready for the
> desktop because a LUG mailing list was the recipient of an
> infected message which was sent by an infected Windows
> box?!

That wasn't my point - The lack of protection evidenced by
the infected PLUG Digest #1106 may keep potential Linux
users away from a useful source of information about the
utility of Linux. I'm wunna dose guys.

Best regards,
George Langford, Sc.D.
amenex@amenex.com