Paul on 2 Mar 2004 00:44:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Linux on the desktop

Mark M. Hoffman wrote:

Nonsense. Virus writers (in league with spammers) will "obviously" target the least secure systems (just like
the burglur... even the motivation is the same.)

If all other things are equal. Maybe most virus writers don't know how to attack Linux because their focus has been on M$ OSes.

You guys are really tempting me to revive my old idea (good or bad) of creating a Web site to promote Linux virus vulnerability awareness. Is Linux vulnerable? Should be take responsibility for at least not relaying a virus on to poor Window$ users. (I am both a Linux and Window$ user.) Do we have tools to attack (as a test), detect, and protect, or is it better to just hope for the best? I think we should bring to light Linux's strengths and weaknesses by kicking the crap out of it!

This is an approach that was used to test SE Linux. A box was made available on the Internet and people were even given root access. The goal was to crack the box. By analyzing the attacks SE Linux could be made more secure in the future.