Martin DiViaio on 2 Mar 2004 13:31:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Linux on the desktop

> >>Symantec Email Proxy deleted the following email message:
> >>

> Can anyone verify this? It seems that a positive result on a test could
> be wrong; hence the term false positive.

There has been some discusion on another mailing list about problems with
NAV and email. It appears that if I were to put the EICAR test string in
this mail message, NAV would detect it as a virus. While this sounds
correct, it's not since the string is in a text based message, without an
attachment that can be executed.

Scanning for viruses on *NIX systems is probably a good idea. Especially
where those systems come in contact with Windows users. Besides, with
ClamAV and every popular MTA supporting virus scanning of some type, there
really is no excuse not to anymore.