Chris Mann on 2 Mar 2004 14:38:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Online game for Linux?

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 09:29, Gyoza wrote:
> Does WineX handle the need for Direct X?  Has anyone tried running kid
> games that require a resolution shift to 640x480 and 256 colors?
>
> I was just telling a relative that Linux's major weak spot for home use
> is it's inability to run widely available Window$ games.  I would be
> glad to demonstrate that I was wrong!

Being a somewhat avid gamer, there is a few good resources for gaming on
linux:

http://icculus.org/lgfaq/gamelist.php
This is what some have called the linux game bible.

If you're looking for a good FPS, I recommend America's Army
(www.americasarmy.com). Yes it does have a linux port that works pretty
well. I've been playing it on linux for about 6 months now, and other
than a few annoying graphic burps, not bad at all.

IIRC wine will handle the need for direct X. There is a group of people
who have gotten some of the more "main stream" games to work with wine,
such as Everquest. EQ does require direct x.

Chris (Shank): Have you tried xandros with any games yet?

--
Chris Mann, SAGE
Systems Administrator