sean finney on 5 Mar 2004 00:22:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] filesystem problem

hi chris,

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 04:23:08PM -0500, Chris Cera wrote:
> du: `proc': No such file or directory

this shows up in each of your commands.  maybe it's not related, but is
/proc mounted?  is there anything wierd about it?

> It is not an incorrect claim either, my hard drive really has the
> reduced space available.  I have fsck'd the drive and it appears
> to be fine.

just a couple of other ideas:

what does df say about your free space?

what about if you come up with a size somewhere in between what would
fill your disk in the two situations that your disk was or wasn't
taking up that mysterious space, and then create a file of that
size with dd?  that is, assuming you had 50 MB free without the missing
space, and 150 MB free with it, create a file 100 MB large

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=102400 of=100MB.img

if dd dies because there isn't enough space left, you know something
is really wierd...

if that is the case, and you have the time, you might just want to
tar everything up, put it on another partition, boot up into your
favorite rescue disk (knoppix is actually pretty neat for this if you
want to play frozen bubble while you're waiting:), re-initialize the
filesystem, and untar your files.

hth,
	sean