Chris Cera on 5 Mar 2004 00:54:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] filesystem problem

Hi Sean, thanks for the response.

> > du: `proc': No such file or directory
>
> this shows up in each of your commands.  maybe it's not related, but is
> /proc mounted?  is there anything wierd about it?

Yes this is strange.  /proc is in fact mounted, so I'm not sure
what the problem is there.  At the moment though, /proc is the
holder of the 898MB, so it doesn't say that anymore :-)

> > It is not an incorrect claim either, my hard drive really has the
> > reduced space available.  I have fsck'd the drive and it appears
> > to be fine.
>
> just a couple of other ideas:
>
> what does df say about your free space?

I was wrong in my previous post, df returns the size which does
NOT include this mysterious 898MB.  Sorry for posting that
incorrectly.  It's still strange behavior regardless.

> what about if you come up with a size somewhere in between what would
> fill your disk in the two situations that your disk was or wasn't
> taking up that mysterious space, and then create a file of that
> size with dd?  that is, assuming you had 50 MB free without the missing
> space, and 150 MB free with it, create a file 100 MB large
>
> dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=102400 of=100MB.img
>
> if dd dies because there isn't enough space left, you know something
> is really wierd...

dd dies, but 'df' is reporting the proper size, so I don't think
that is weird behavior.

> if that is the case, and you have the time, you might just want to
> tar everything up, put it on another partition, boot up into your
> favorite rescue disk (knoppix is actually pretty neat for this if you
> want to play frozen bubble while you're waiting:), re-initialize the
> filesystem, and untar your files.

I have a new drive scheduled to arrive in the mail tomorrow.
I'll run a series of tests similar to what you suggested, and
report my results.

Thanks again Sean.

--
cera@cs.drexel.edu                 http://www.cs.drexel.edu/~cera