gabriel rosenkoetter on 5 Mar 2004 01:21:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] filesystem problem

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 07:53:03PM -0500, Chris Cera wrote:
> Hi Sean, thanks for the response.
> > > du: `proc': No such file or directory
> > this shows up in each of your commands.  maybe it's not related, but is
> > /proc mounted?  is there anything wierd about it?
> Yes this is strange.  /proc is in fact mounted, so I'm not sure
> what the problem is there.  At the moment though, /proc is the
> holder of the 898MB, so it doesn't say that anymore :-)

Hangonaminute.

If /proc is mounted, and yet du(1) and df(1) are complaining about
its lack, there's something very wrong. Please post the output of
`grep proc /etc/fstab` and `grep proc /etc/mtab`.

Could you `umount /proc` and then `ls -a /proc`? If you still see
the usual stuff under /proc on the ls, keep umounting it till you
don't any more. Your mystery 898 MB may be sitting in /, under
/proc, but masked by the mount of /proc. Not sure what would make
it then appear under /root. (I'd have to go back over your original
message--which I didn't keep a copy of, though, of course, it's
in the archives--and ask you to do an `ls -ali` on a few directories
to sort that out, but it's all sort of academic if what I think is
wrong is wrong.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net