kaze on 5 Mar 2004 22:01:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Can someone explain this ssh behavior?

--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Tobias DiPasquale
--> Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 6:22 AM
--> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 23:35, kaze wrote:
--> > What's going on here? Is this by design or just some weirdness?
-->
--> Sounds like you have something weird in your INPUT filter chain in
--> iptables. But you still have the -A INPUT -p tcp -m state
--> RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT rule in place, and that's why it works
--> after you log into the Windows machine. Check your INPUT filter config
--> on the Linux box; I'll bet that's where the problem is.
-->
--> --
--> Tobias DiPasquale, www.cbcg.net

Hmmm, That sounds reasonable, I will check, but I don't think iptables is
running/configured on there, just whatever RedHat 9.x does by default during
the install. Fits the symptoms though.

Don't think I described the problem clearly though initially:
* Home machine T tries to ssh over the 'net to machine SA - session hangs
* Machine T is behind a Linky firewall
* Machine SA is behind a Cisco ACL firewall
* Machine Q, also behind the same firewall as SA, ssh's to SA fine
* Once the Q to SA ssh session is active, T is able to ssh to SA fine
* Ending the Q to SA ssh session has no effect on the now up T to SA ssh
session