Art Clemons on 6 Mar 2004 01:59:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Anybody ever buy one of those Walmart PCs?

For $300, I could get an AMD Duron 1.6GHz, 256M RAM, 40G harddrive (only 1
PCI slot, unfortunately). Which, for my home server, should suffice I think,
since I had been using a P3-500. This would actually be an improvement.

I'ld personally hesitate to buy something like that from Walmart (then again I'm boycotting Walmart anyway, but that's another issue). While the Lindows machine is guaranteed to be operating Linux and to have drivers, it's not clear that drivers for things like any NIC, video card or other peripherals is easily available. I have no idea what hardware Nortel uses, but if it's propietary. The AMD Duron sounds like a better choice and I guess you'ld better learn to love USB for many things.