Michael Leone on 6 Mar 2004 05:18:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Anybody ever buy one of those Walmart PCs?

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 20:58, Art Clemons wrote:
> > For $300, I could get an AMD Duron 1.6GHz, 256M RAM, 40G harddrive (only 1
> > PCI slot, unfortunately). Which, for my home server, should suffice I think,
> > since I had been using a P3-500. This would actually be an improvement.
> >

> I'ld personally hesitate to buy something like that from Walmart (then
> again I'm boycotting Walmart anyway, but that's another issue).  While
> the Lindows machine is guaranteed to be operating Linux and to have
> drivers, it's not clear that drivers for things like any NIC, video card
> or other peripherals is easily available.

I want it as a server; not planning on running X or sound or anything on
it. I want it to sit there and run
postfix/amavis/ClamAV/apache/samba/sshd/etc.

>  I have no idea what hardware
> Nortel uses, but if it's propietary.  The AMD Duron sounds like a better
> choice and I guess you'ld better learn to love USB for many things.

I already love USB. :-) But the only peripheral it might eventually get
is a parallel port printer. Just maybe, a CD-RW for backup, or maybe an
external hard drive (same reasons)