Mike Leone on 6 Mar 2004 01:53:02 -0000

[PLUG] Anybody ever buy one of those Walmart PCs?

I've decided I'm sick and tired of fighting with this failing hardware for
my little mail server. And then I remembered those dirt cheap, online-only
PCs that Walmart sells. They have models available with SuSE, LindowsOS or
no OS. And they start at $160.

Now, they are Nortel brand (who?), and only have 1 or 2 free PCI slots, and
usually only 128M RAM (at the lowest price - they have other models with more)

Anybody ever buy one? Or know someone who has? I'd probably buy a no OS
model, and install Debian. Or just GHOST (or whatever the Linux equivalent
would be) my current drive. Anybody know if they work with Debian (Libranet,
in particular) ?

For $300, I could get an AMD Duron 1.6GHz, 256M RAM, 40G harddrive (only 1
PCI slot, unfortunately). Which, for my home server, should suffice I think,
since I had been using a P3-500. This would actually be an improvement. :-)

Thoughts/comments/alternatives?