sean finney on 16 Mar 2004 02:21:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] X and debconf

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 08:56:22PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I don't want to get into a whole mess of X config stuff, but I also
> know that if I now change the X config file, debconf won't know this.

actually, i think it will.  i believe that the current version of
xserver-xfree86 in sarge[1] keeps an md5sum of the file after it's
generated, and before it goes reconfiguring the package in the future,
it checks to make sure the md5sum hasn't changed before overwriting
the file.  i believe the file is /var/lib/xfree86/X.md5sum.

> Anyone know how do I just tell debconf what the right params are for
> my X setup?

well, if you want to debconf to just leave your x alone,
dpkg-reconfigure xfree86, and answer no to the first question "manage
XF86Config-4 with debconf?".  otherwise, there's no way of having debconf
load your X config settings other than answering all its questions.

	sean

[1] i'm riding unstable these days, so you'll probably want to double
    check this