Tom Diehl on 22 Mar 2004 04:51:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: SPF

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Malcolm J Harwood wrote:

> On Sunday 21 Mar 2004 15:04, Tom Diehl wrote:
>
> > Just set up your mta to reject mail that has a from header of aol.com, etc
> > but does not come from aol.com mail servers. 99.999% of the mail I see with
> > an aol.com, yahoo.com, hotmail.com etc. from header originates from some
> > other mail server.
>
> I was under the impression this is exactly what SPF is for. Otherwise you
> don't *know* what AOL's mail servers are.

For SPF to work it needs to be setup by most sites. What I am doing works today
with no external setup. I no longer get spam with a from line of aol, hotmail,
etc. The best part is that we are dropping this garbage at the smtp level.
Makes it harder on the spammers server than ours.

> > That mail I drop on the floor. It a always spam. Postfix
> > can easily do this.
>
> How are you determining what AOL's mail servers are then?
> (As I run postfix, I'd be interested in how you are doing this, as I've not
> gotten into extensive spamblocking yet, I get little enough that it's not
> been high on my priority list so far).

Have a look here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postfix-users&m=102821539912359&w=2

This works and Wietse explains it much better than I can.

HTH,

Tom