Stephen Gran on 28 Mar 2004 03:43:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Stuck in apt-get Debian

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 07:06:08PM -0600, e.newed@verizon.net said:
> Hello guys,

> I just took the big plunge and installed Knoppix on my hard disk and
> it is now Debian unstable.  I am upgrading the packages using KDE
> kpackage and when I run into a problem going directly to apt-get.
> Everything was going fine until it ran into a package that it can't
> install because of a broken pipe.  Here's the messages I got:
>
> dpkg:error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data4%3a3.2.1-1_all.deb (--unpack):
> try to overwrite
> '/usr/share/mimelink/application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.desktop,
> which is also in package openoffice-de-en
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
> Errors were encountered while processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3,2,1-1all.deb
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkgreturned an error code (1).
> After redoing that a couple of times I tried
> dpkg --configure -a
> and it said:
> Setting up ijsgimpprint (4.2.6-4). . .
> kandy,
> kaddress book,
> ksynckdelibs4,
> kdelibs-bin,
> kalarm,
> korganizer,
> kdepim,
> kpilot.
>
> I know the problem is kdelibs-data4%3a3.2.1-1_all.deb, but I don't
> know how to get apt-get or kpackage (using apt) to either skip or
> somehow find out what this "Broken pipe" is.

The broken pipe message is because it can't (won't) overwrite a file
belonging to another package.  For some reason Knoppix has put the file
/usr/share/mimelink/application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.desktop into the
package openoffice-de-en, while debian puts it in kdelibs-data.

> I'm an absolute newbie, even though I've been lurking here for a few
> months.  But I could really use your help, because I'm afraid to shut
> down my new Linux home since now everything under the big "K" on the
> taskbar is missing.

Not to fear - all of KDE could be blown up, and the system itself will
still boot.  The GUI is not the OS here.  The fix for your situation is
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3,2,1-1all.deb

apt uses dpkg to actually do the installation of the packages - it is
possible to pass options to dpkg from apt, but the syntax is horrible.
It's usually easier to do it directly.  Check out 'man apt' and
'man dpkg' for plenty of gory details.

> Help!!!  Ed Kerollis (enewed)

Debian unstable is usually fine (I run it here on a box or two, but
beware, you are liekly to run into occasional breakage like this with
unstable, because this is where new versions and new packages are
introduced, and the bugs found and fixed.  If you are not comfortable
being a testing ground, it may be better to move to stable, once the new
one is released.  I am not trying to give you the 'if you're new, stick
with stable' speech - going to unstable can teach you a lot about your
linux system when it breaks, and it is usually fine.  I just want to
warn you the ride isn't always smooth.

|  Stephen Gran                  | I'm very old-fashioned.  I believe that |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | people should marry for life, like      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | pigeons and Catholics.   -- Woody Allen |