e.newed on 28 Mar 2004 01:07:03 -0000

[PLUG] Stuck in apt-get Debian

Hello guys,
I just took the big plunge and installed Knoppix on my hard disk and it is now Debian unstable.  I am upgrading the packages using KDE kpackage and when I run into a problem going directly to apt-get.  Everything was going fine until it ran into a package that it can't install because of a broken pipe.  Here's the messages I got:

dpkg:error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data4%3a3.2.1-1_all.deb
(--unpack):
try to overwrite '/usr/share/mimelink/application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.desktop,
which is also in package openoffice-de-en
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3,2,1-1all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkgreturned an error code (1).

After redoing that a couple of times I tried
dpkg --configure -a
and it said:

Setting up ijsgimpprint (4.2.6-4). . .
kandy,
kaddress book,
ksynckdelibs4,
kdelibs-bin,
kalarm,
korganizer,
kdepim,
kpilot.

I know the problem is kdelibs-data4%3a3.2.1-1_all.deb, but I don't know how to get apt-get or kpackage (using apt) to either skip or somehow find out what this "Broken pipe" is.  I'm an absolute newbie, even though I've been lurking here for a few months.  But I could really use your help, because I'm afraid to shut down my new Linux home since now everything under the big "K" on the taskbar is missing.

Help!!!
Ed Kerollis (enewed)