LeRoy Cressy on 29 Mar 2004 14:22:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Stuck in apt-get Debian (Geoff's suggestions)

Ed wrote:
Dear Geoff,
Thank you very much for your response.  I'm not very experienced on Linux.
I have been reading and gathering info for about a year.  Everything I've
learned so far about computers is self taught (never had a computer course),
so I take my time until I think I understand what is going on.  I'm 47 and
grew up in the 70's when Fortran was the big thing, so (I apologize I did
have one computer course in 1974-Fortran) that helped me to lose interest
fairly quickly back then.

Hi Ed,

I also remember when FortranIV G and IBM System 360 was king. If you still want to write in Fortran Debian has several fortran packages.

"apt-cache search fortran" reveals:
g77 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
g77-2.95 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
g77-2.95-doc - Documentation for the GNU Fortran compiler (g77)
g77-3.2 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
g77-3.2-doc - Documentation for the GNU Fortran compiler (g77)
g77-3.3 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
g77-3.3-doc - Documentation for the GNU Fortran compiler (g77)
g77-doc - Documentation for the GNU Fortran compiler (g77)
gdb - The GNU Debugger

There is the holy war about which editor that you want. I personally like xemacs21. Others have their favorites like vi vim nano and others.

Anyway, I haven't decided on a mail client yet.

Choosing a mail client is totally up to you. If you like a gui use netscape7.1 or mozilla. I have used Thunderbird but I do not think that it is stable enough. If you want a text mail client mutt is the choice. Elm and pine are still avilable, but it seems that everyone uses mutt for a mail client.

I have 4 email accounts on
Windows. 1 at Neumann College, 2 on Verizon DSL, and 1 on Netscape.  So I
don't know if I can hook up the Debian/Knoppix partition to any of them.  I
sent last nights email from the Verizon website (up on their server),
because I can run my Verizon accounts from there if I need to (POP3 to IE6
on my computer).  The Netscape is an IMAP account, so everything stays on
the Netscape server, just viewed through Netscape 7.1 mail.  That account is
easyed422@netscape.net.  So I'm not sure if I can hook up to that through
Mozilla.

Mozilla and Netscape7.1 both use the same config files ~/.mozilla/

So any changes that you make in Mozilla or Netscape will be reflected on the other. Also it is easy to set up multiple pop and imap accounts with netscape7 and mozilla. Also I have written a howto paper on how to integrate enigmail gpg with mozilla and netscape.
http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf

One of the problems that you might have with apt is the configuration file. Here is mine:

# Testing
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free

# Added to make Java work with Mozilla
deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/ unstable non-free
deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/ testing non-free
deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/ woody non-free

deb http://http.us.debian.org stable main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US main contrib non-free

Also apt-cache search is a big help
I also look a lot of times on http://www.debian.org for package details.

Or just pick one of the many already installed on the
Debian/Knoppix and open up a new #5 email account.  Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Ed (enewed)

I hope to see you next Wednesday at our monthly meeting.

Have a great day :-)

LeRoy

- -- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\
http://lrcressy.com ( o.o )
Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ <
FAX: 215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/