Mike Leone on 11 Apr 2004 00:23:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Detailed document

Bill Patterson (patterson@computer.org) had this to say on 04/10/04 at 19:18:
> Can we get a virus scanner for this sort of thing?  It even pretends to
> have been scanned!
>
> I'm one of those Linux users who still uses Windoze for mail, and my
> McAfee virus scanner has to be supressed because otherwise it finds so
> many viruses or it has such a significant bug that it STOPS my mail
> altogether!

Suppressing it because it's doing it's job (i.e., stopping viruses in your
email) may not be an optimal choice on your part, Bill. :-)

> Oh well, maybe there is no sympathy, but I can always ask!

Well, it is possible to run a virus scanner on a Linux mail server - I
personally run ClamAV and f-prot on mine. The PLUG mailing list goes through
Mike Toren's mailserver these days, doesn't it?

Are you sure this one came through the list? Since I REJECT viruses
outright, I never seem them. And I, too, occasionally read my email with
Windows clients (altho more often, like now, I use mutt via ssh (using
putty, to connect back to my home domain).

> I keep saying to myself that I'll switch to a Linux tool for my mail,
> but so much of my mail involves MSWord documents on my Windoze machine
> using involved Word characteristics that it is not easy to switch.

I presume from the above that the Linux Word displaying solutions fail on complictaed
docs?