Paul on 5 May 2004 10:02:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] A LINUX meeting in Exton Tues 4/13 and Monday 5/10

Magnus Hedemark wrote:

Small nit - can we avoid calling it a LUG if we get something started? A lot of these groups tend to polarize its members when the natural tendency to discuss *BSD comes up. While some are very tolerant, others take the viewpoint that the very nature of a LINUX Users Group precludes the constructive discussion of other free OS's. IMHO I'd like to see a group meet from time to time that encourages the discussion of *anything* that has an OSI-approved license.

I'm in favor of groups focusing on Free and Open Source Software; groups in which even F/OSS on Window$ can be discussed as I believe that that combination is a good way to get people interested in changing even their operating systems. Of course, topics like the latest non-F/OSS, Window$-only software should be avoided.

More focused groups are fine, but that focus comes at a price, so to speak. Linux is, after all, just another piece of F/OSS software, the purpose of which is to enable other software to run. Preferably, other F/OSS. (Over simplified, I know.) ___________________________________________________________________________