Frederick Heckel on 5 May 2004 02:10:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] A LINUX meeting in Exton Tues 4/13 and Monday 5/10

On Tue, 4 May 2004 21:29:41 -0400 (EDT) Magnus Hedemark
<chrish@trilug.org> claimed:
> On Tue, 4 May 2004, sean finney wrote:
>
> > i'd be interested to hear about any developments for an at-swat
> > meeting, as i work there half the week and live within walking
> > distance.  how many delco people are we talking about anyway?
>
> /me raises his hand. (duh)
>
> I'm in Prospect Park.  Swarthmore is only a few miles away, so I'm
> *very* game to meet with some local FOSS enthusiasts there.
>
> Small nit - can we avoid calling it a LUG if we get something started?
> lot of these groups tend to polarize its members when the natural
> tendency to discuss *BSD comes up.  While some are very tolerant,
> others take the viewpoint that the very nature of a LINUX Users Group
> precludes the constructive discussion of other free OS's.  IMHO I'd
> like to see a group meet from time to time that encourages the
> discussion of *anything* that has an OSI-approved license.

fwiw, slug(the mailing list) is generally *nix focused(including, say,
OSX and Solaris, so not just OSI stuff), rather than merely linux. it's
not really an issue for the people who are presently involved, and i
can't imagine that it would be if we actually got together. i think it'd
be great to actually meet, as i generally just don't have time to get to
plug meetings... anyway, if this is something that would be worthwhile,
might take the thread over to slug proper; the list can be found
through:

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu

or just: