Michael Leone on 9 May 2004 01:00:03 -0000

[PLUG] Looking for a multi-codec GUI audio converter

I have a bunch of music encoded in variuos ways - MP3, WAV, FLAC, SHN -
and I'm looking for a GUI program that will take any of those as input,
and convert to MP3 (specifically). I know MP3 is a lossy format, and the
others are in lossless, but I have a portable MP3 player, and it don't
wanna know about no stinkin' FLAC  or SHN format. :-)
(it would be nice to have any of those as output formats, but the MP3
one is the one I have most need of)

I have the FLAC and SHN plugins for XMMS, but it only outputs WAV, not
MP3 (unless there's some output plugin I haven't found yet). Audacity
doesn't know about FLAC and SHN. Etc.

So I'm looking for something that will do the converting in one step,
and I haven't found anything as of yet. I keep finding things that will
do some, but not others. Anybody got a recommendation?