Walt Mankowski on 8 May 2004 02:52:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: How to prevent a particular version of a debian package from upgrading?

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 10:24:37PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> echo package hold | dpkg --set-selections
>
> Then, periodically run
>
> apt-cache policy package
>
> (maybe from cron or something)
> to see if there is a new version that is worth upgrading to - subscribe
> to the bug report you are hoping to have resolved, so you know when it
> is closed (bugs.debian.org - follow links)
>
> Then
> apt-get install package
> More manual work than getting the pinning correct, but each step is
> easier.

Another way is to execute

echo package install | dpkg --set-selections

when I'm ready to install the package, and then

apt-get dist-upgrade

will pick it up next time it's run.  That's what I just ended up
doing.  It's not quite as clean as I'd like, but I've only got a
handful of packages on hold (pciutils wasn't the only one) so I'm
hoping it won't be too tough to manage them.

Thanks for your help!

Walt