Chris on 10 May 2004 14:35:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] seeks a career clue (please don't flame)

For me (I am knowingly young...) it has always been about what really grabs
my attention or what interests me. Going after the latest and greatest
technology sometimes will get you caught in doing something you hate for a
long time.

I realize that advice is coming from me and I am a youngin' (only 2 years
out of college) and I know an "interest in learning" doesn't pay the
mortgage.

So as far as I can see in regards to programming (from a non-programmer) it
looks like C# is big, VB.net or the wireless Java apps. market. WebSphere,
Crossfire, etc.

Chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of
FloydLJohnsonIII@aol.com
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 10:27 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] seeks a career clue (please don't flame)

(The last time I asked a question of that matter, I wandered into a flame
war.)

What IT skills are marketable in your purview (life after "those guys in
Redmond finally got it right")?

I'm an old hand at C, having trained on SunOS circa 1990 and professionally
used Visual C++. On the job, I showed I could switch-hit by porting a BOOTP
server.

By 2002, I found that the market sought old hands at Java and/or VB. As
such, I was caught unprepared.

The question is this: What skills, as far as you know, are most sought by
those seeking to fill IT jobs? The idea is to catch up to the market and
find a way to pass it. ("Get competitive again, then get ahead.")