William H. Magill on 14 May 2004 23:45:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] seeks a career clue (please don't flame)

On 13 May, 2004, at 20:05, Paul wrote:
Magnus Hedemark wrote:
I'm not a developer by profession, but in general I tend to favor technology that is not beholden to one vendor. While it certainly will preclude me from taking some opportunities for short term gain, in the long haul it's a mindset that has served me well.
Agreed, but it would be a shame to miss out on a C++ job because, although you know C++, you haven't used Micro$oft's Visual C++ product. I wonder how much talent employers miss out on because they require very specific experience.

Undoubtedly a lot... but in today's job market, explicitly-specific skill lists are used by HR departments to "pre-screen" the massive number of applicants they get for every position. This is also an issue when the HR department is using any kind of automated, key-word oriented processor.

A number of different "placement" firms I've dealt with recently require that your resume be in bullet-point skill list format.

"Obviously," we're talking about "technical" positions here -- where a need for a specific skill set has been defined by the hiring person for the particular job at hand.
One rarely finds jobs for "general programmers" but rather for "a programmer to work on project x." The fact that later they might want something else done differently, all too often doesn't enter into the hiring mindset.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com