Paul on 10 May 2004 16:16:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] seeks a career clue (please don't flame)

FloydLJohnsonIII@aol.com wrote:

(The last time I asked a question of that matter, I wandered into a flame war.)

I wonder why that happened.

What IT skills are marketable in your purview (life after "those guys in Redmond finally got it right")?

I'm an old hand at C, having trained on SunOS circa 1990 and professionally used Visual C++. On the job, I showed I could switch-hit by porting a BOOTP server.

By 2002, I found that the market sought old hands at Java and/or VB. As such, I was caught unprepared.

The question is this: What skills, as far as you know, are most sought by those seeking to fill IT jobs? The idea is to catch up to the market and find a way to pass it. ("Get competitive again, then get ahead.")

I'm sure a few people here can testify to the fact that I'm not an expert. However, I do have an opinion. When it comes to programming, as far as I can tell from job ads, the qualifications sought after are either a Bachelor's degree and some experience, or proven skills and a lot of experience. I get the impression that some places will reject a person who lacks a degree no matter how capable that person is.

Well, VB takes you into the Micro$oft world. (I guess that dollar sign is a welcome sight to you!) Oh, Visual C++ is also from the M$ world. Is that the platform you want to work on?

I think GNU/Linux has a big future. I think Window$ has a big future, too. That makes it important for Linux and Windows to interoperate. It is also nice to have applications which can run on both platforms. In other words, multi-platform, portable programming is a good thing.

Object-oriented programming seems to be popular these days. (I can work with classes, but I don't want to write one!)

Anyway, what do you want to do?