Jeff Abrahamson on 10 May 2004 23:24:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] seeks a career clue (please don't flame)

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 10:26:52AM -0400, FloydLJohnsonIII@aol.com wrote:
> What IT skills are marketable in your purview (life after "those
> guys in Redmond finally got it right")?
>
> I'm an old hand at C, having trained on SunOS circa 1990 and
> professionally used Visual C++. On the job, I showed I could
> switch-hit by porting a BOOTP server.
>
> By 2002, I found that the market sought old hands at Java and/or
> VB. As such, I was caught unprepared.
>
> The question is this: What skills, as far as you know, are most
> sought by those seeking to fill IT jobs? The idea is to catch up to
> the market and find a way to pass it. ("Get competitive again, then
> get ahead.")

Do what is fun, just get good at it.  Interesting jobs will follow as
long as you aren't too obscure and you spend some time finding out who
wants to hire you with your skills.

Becoming really good at smalltalk may be more limiting than really
good at C, same Atari vs linux, say.  But once you're talking common
things, just be good at it and make sure it's fun for you.

And get good at writing about yourself in a positive way (on your
resume).

--
 Jeff

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20