kaze on 13 May 2004 01:14:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] seeks a career clue (please don't flame)

--> > The question is this: What skills, as far as you know, are most
--> > sought by those seeking to fill IT jobs? The idea is to catch up to
--> > the market and find a way to pass it. ("Get competitive again, then
--> > get ahead.")
-->
--> Do what is fun, just get good at it.  Interesting jobs will follow as
--> long as you aren't too obscure and you spend some time finding out who
--> wants to hire you with your skills.
-->  Jeff

Just a few days ago in the car I caught the end of an ad for Microsoft
training; just like the car financing ads they have a few fast talking
caveats at the end. What I was glad to hear was, "Actual salary may vary
with experience."

Last month I totally sold myself as a Microsoft Active Directory expert.
1. I asked the interview what is an AD expert?, mostly all you do is run a
setup and then it just goes on by itself behind the scenes.
2. I told him about my SAMBA experiences, how this point of view on the MS
tech really gave me insight, one example I gave was with learning about
Kerberos PTR records within DNS.
3. I talked about experience with Novel NDS, *NIX, (touched on LDAP), and
how one key thing is multi-NOS interoperability.
4. A few times I gave examples of how I _didn't_ know something yet was able
to design or troubleshoot it based on extrapolating from experience, being
in a tech community, or willingness to say I don't know and ask.

Have you peeped "What Color Is My Parachute?" or "Zen and the Art of Making
a Living" (might have that title slightly wrong.) Good books for figuring
out what you want and then how to get it.

- Zake