Paul L. Snyder on 18 May 2004 19:13:02 -0000

[OT] Bittorrent, Anime (was Re: [PLUG] Fedora Core 2 Local mirrors?)

"Paul" <gyoza@comcast.net> wrote on 05/18/2004 02:25:14 PM:

> Paul.L.Snyder@gsk.com wrote:

>> Have you tried bittorrent?  Instructions at the bottom of the page reached
>> by the following link:
>>
>> http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/
>
> Thanks for the link.  I've been thinking about using bittorrent.  I
> heard I can get some anime.

I recommend the Azureus bittorrent client.  It is written in Java, is
cross-platform, and has a reasonably designed GUI and management tools.
It also encourages good bittorrent etiquette, such as warning you if
you try to stop participating in a swarm before your share ratio is
less than 1.0.

If you are going to download anime, please exercise good fan ethics by
downloading from responsible sites that list only anime that is
unlicensed in the US.  animesuki.com is a good starting point for
finding fansubs of unlicensed anime.

I'll take this opportunity to cross-plug the Suburban Otaku Squad.
This is an anime club that meets in King of Prussia on the first, third
(and fifth, if relevant) Saturdays of each month, from 5pm to 10pm.
Showings are open to anyone, but if you become an official member you
can borrow materials from the club library.  We typically have four
different series going at once, and we watch two episodes of each per
showing.  The last hour is potluck: anyone can bring in a disc and
everyone votes on what to watch.  Gaps are usually filled in with
fan-made anime music videos.  Pizza is ordered for anyone who wants to
chip in.

Once a quarter we also meet in a local Japanese restaurant to watch two
full-length movies and eat lots of sushi and edamame.

If anyone is curious or wants to drop by, please contact me off-list.
Or, you can just show up - there's a perpetually-under construction
website at http://www.sos-anime.org that should have driving directions.

Cheers,
pls