jeff on 21 May 2004 17:00:03 -0000

[PLUG] Arcserve equivalent?

My job uses the brand most experts recommend - Brightstore/Arcserve.
When my boss told me that most experts recommended it, I told him that
most people use Windows and buy Madonna cd's - this does not indicate
the quality of the product.

This software is the most poorly-written piece of dung I have ever come
across.  The tech support isn't.  If you go to the website and somehow
manage to find your issue listed, there are three suggestions for the
fix that don't agree and don't fix.  Monday's backup is 99%, Tuesday's
is 20%, with no changes in the meantime.

Naturally my mind goes to linux.  Is there something in the Brightstore
ballpark that doesn't cost Brightstore bucks and WORKS?

Here's what I need:
1. ease of use, esp for Windows admins
2. ability to backup SQL, Exchange, and open files from NT/W2k servers
3. prefer linux-based but will consider W2k [sigh]
4. reliability and suitability to replace Brightstore

Thanks for the benefit of your experience,
-jeff