Paul on 4 Jun 2004 16:15:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Network Troubles -Stalls and Really slow Xfers

Matthew Ozor wrote:

         RX packets:45734 errors:2463 dropped:0
overruns:0 frame:5053
         TX packets:36231 errors:2 dropped:0
overruns:2 carrier:2

You can see all the errors that I am getting. Does
this sound like a bad NIC card or router? Or could my
servesr be setup wrong? I recently switched from a
Mandrake 10.0 to RH 8.0. Local area FTP used to run at
about 6-7MBS now there at 1kbs and stall most of the
time. WAN ftp connects start at around 48kbs now and
hang after 9% on all ftp uploads.

Did RH install a bad driver for my NIC card?

My first thought, since you mentioned possibly bad hardware, is that an Ethernet cable or connection has gone bad. Notice that most of the errors occurs on the receive side.

Have you updated Red Hat 8.0 using something like apt-rpm or yum? Oops, I guess network problems would make that difficult.

Why did you go with Red Hat 8.0?  Why not 9.0?  Why not Fedora Core 2?