Paul L. Snyder on 10 Jun 2004 21:55:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: VIM and ASCII

Quoting Jeff Weisberg <jaw+plug@tcp4me.com>:

> "ASCII symbols" are things like "!@#$%^&*()"
> and are usually found on your keyboard;
> look above the numbers and to the right of m,l,p

Not on my Dvorak keyboard, they aren't. ;)

[...]
> Are you perhaps looking for a way to enter text in
> iso-8859-* or unicode?

To expand on Jeff's point, take a look at the following
links:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US-ASCII
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

"ASCII" is a 7-bit character set.  Various encodings
are sometimes improperly called "8-bit ASCII"; this is
a misnomer.  If a character is represented by a value
that is greater than 127, you can reliably claim that
it isn't ASCII.

Cheers,
pls