Jeff Abrahamson on 11 Jun 2004 13:36:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: VIM and ASCII

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 05:01:21PM -0400, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> | example:
> | Something like this [...]
>
> I have no idea what the above is supposed to be, but
> it is certainly *not* ASCII.

This is a function of your locale.  Those of us who deal regularly
with non-English language text generally set our locales so that such
things are displayed.  (In the original email I saw characters with
diacritical marks.)

My locale is en_US.  In LANG_C, accents generally don't show up.

Type "locale" at a shell prompt to see your current locale, "locale
-a" to see what your system supports.

BTW, in emacs look at iso-accents-mode to enter such things.  In
xterm's one can set "*eightBitInput: true" in .Xdefaults to use the
meta key to enter high-ascii characters.  Unfortunately, this means
one loses meta as an edit modifier (M-F to go forward, M-delete to
delete a word, etc.).

--
 Jeff

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20