Jeff Weisberg on 11 Jun 2004 14:16:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: VIM and ASCII

| > I have no idea what the above is supposed to be, but
| > it is certainly *not* ASCII.
|
| This is a function of your locale.  Those of us who deal regularly
| with non-English language text generally set our locales so that such
| things are displayed.  (In the original email I saw characters with
| diacritical marks.)

uhm, I don't think I was clear on the point I was trying to make.

The OP claimed to be using "ASCII", but the example text
was clearly *not* ASCII.

you saw diacritical marks.
I saw question marks in circles.
the OP saw box drawing characters.

what was my point?
oh, yes,
1) that ASCII is a 7 bit code
2) if you have text that isn't ASCII, without indicating what the actual
   character set is, everyone will see something different than what you
   want them to see.
3) if want to successfully communicate, and you aren't content with 7 bit
   ASCII, you really do need to correctly specify the charset.

	--jeff