Jeff Abrahamson on 11 Jun 2004 14:25:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: VIM and ASCII

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 10:15:31AM -0400, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
>   [35 lines, 189 words, 1252 characters]  Top characters: t_eainol
>

> | > I have no idea what the above is supposed to be, but
> | > it is certainly *not* ASCII.
> |
> | This is a function of your locale.  Those of us who deal regularly
> | with non-English language text generally set our locales so that such
> | things are displayed.  (In the original email I saw characters with
> | diacritical marks.)
>

> uhm, I don't think I was clear on the point I was trying to make.
>
> The OP claimed to be using "ASCII", but the example text
> was clearly *not* ASCII.
>
> you saw diacritical marks.
> I saw question marks in circles.
> the OP saw box drawing characters.

I was only commenting on the first half of the sentence quoted (about
not understanding what they were supposed to be).  Perhaps for clarity
I should have cut the second half of the sentence.

Clearly your locale does not affect whether some characters are ascii
or not.

--
 Jeff

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20