LeRoy Cressy on 15 Jun 2004 14:11:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: VIM and ASCII

Matthew Ozor wrote:
| Your ansewer was fine but my question was how to enter
| an extended ascii symbol in VIM. The character set is
| unimportant to the question.

The character set is very important because depending on what character
set that your system is running determines the character.  Like Jeff
Weisberg pointed out the resulting character depends on what character
set you are using.  The DOS system usually defaulted to CP437 which was
an 8 bit character set.  The various DOS systems called CP437 ASCII
which was really not true, since the original ASCII is  a 7 bit
character set.

What I think you are asking for is how to get terminal support for CP437
so that you can display 8bit CP437 characters.  In your efforts to
create ASCII art you might end up with something totally different than
what you envision.  For example let's say that your recipient is using a
different character set than what you created your art in, then they
will not see the same thing that you originally envisioned.  The thing
about DOS was that it was set up to be country specific where it was
sold.  The DOS sold in Germany had a German character set whereas the US
version had a CP437 Character set.  With Linux where it is downloaded
from the Internet, each user sets up their console for themselves.  The
default for US users is en_US using the 7 bit character set.

I realize that there are
| different symbols for different standards. Entering
| them in VIM is the same no matter what term you are
| using.

Are you sure?

~ Someone did post CTRL-V and I must have
| overlooked it with the 8 paragpraph on ISO and ANSI
| theory that surrounded it.
|
| My question should have sounded like this.
|
| What is the correct key combination for entering
| extended ascii characters in VIM.

| I thought using the old ms-dos way of entering them as
| an example would shine light on the question and
| result in a ansewer.

If you changed the codepage in the old msdos the results would reflect
the codepage character set.

Man now im "grumpy" ... who talks
| like that...
|

| --- Jeff Weisberg <jaw+plug@tcp4me.com> wrote:
|

|>mtozor@yahoo.com wrote:
|>[...]
|>|
|>| Your going to tell me that %G�%@ is not an
|>extended ascii
|>                             ^^
|>| symbol - it was the symbol I orginal asked about
|>in my
|>| first post on this topic.
|>

|>I don't think you'll care to hear my answer, so you
|>should hit
|>delete now, but for the other people on the list
|>that do care,
|>and would like to learn:
|>
|>Your email headers indicate "US-ASCII". The
|>indicated character
|>has a value of 0xEC (239). Being outside the range
|>of 0-127
|>it is not a valid ASCII character.
|>
|>What is it? How do we display it? What does it look
|>like?
|>
|>There are a *large* number of character sets which
|>extend
|>ASCII, and have characters in the range 128-255. But
|>they
|>are all different. If we don't know which of the
|>many
|>"extended ascii" character sets you mean, we have no
|>way
|>to know how to interpret the above character.
|>
|>perhaps an example:
|>
|>the above character (0xEC) has the following
|>interpretation in each of these "extended ascii"
|>character sets:
|>
|>    iso-8859-1    LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH GRAVE
|>    iso-8859-2    LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH CARON
|>    iso-8859-3    LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH GRAVE
|>    iso-8859-4    LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH DOT
|>ABOVE
|>    iso-8859-5    CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER SOFT SIGN
|>    iso-8859-6    ARABIC DAMMATAN
|>    iso-8859-7    GREEK SMALL LETTER MU
|>    iso-8859-8    HEBREW LETTER LAMED
|>    iso-8859-9    LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH GRAVE
|>    iso-8859-10   LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH DOT
|>ABOVE
|>    iso-8859-11   THAI CHARACTER THANTHAKHAT
|>    iso-8859-13   LATIN SMALL LETTER G WITH CEDILLA
|>    iso-8859-14   LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH GRAVE
|>    iso-8859-15   LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH GRAVE
|>    iso-8859-16   LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH GRAVE
|>    KOI8-R        CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER EL
|>    CP437         INFINITY
|>    CP850         LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH ACUTE
|>    CP855         CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER VE
|>    CP866	  CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER SOFT SIGN
|>    [...]
|>
|>these are all equally valid interpretations of your
|>ambiguous "extended ascii" above.
|>
|>different people on the PLUG list will see your
|>"extended ascii" character in different of the above
|>ways.
|>and none are wrong.
|>
|>(actually, your message should be rejected as
|>corrupt, but
|>that's a different thread altogether)
|>

|>	--jeff

|>General Discussion  --

| Friends.  Fun.  Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
| http://messenger.yahoo.com/

- -- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\ ~ http://lrcressy.com ( o.o ) ~ Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ < ~ FAX: 215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/