Jeff Abrahamson on 17 Jun 2004 14:17:02 -0000

[PLUG] software licenses

This is soap-boxish:

I have become frustrated with the amount of code on the web that has
no explicit license attached to it.  Most often this appears in code
that people post in email messages that then become archived.

It is frustrating because I suspect that the people who post it are
often fine with someone else using their code, but, in the absence of
their saying so, I can't use it in anything I intend to release.  I
also see this a lot in universities, where people somehow assume that
it doesn't matter.

So I've begun asking people to put a statement of copyright (or
disclaimer of copyright) and an indication of license on everything
they write and reveal in any fashion to the public.  I probably don't
do this fully consistently myself, but I thought I'd share this in the
hopes that others might start doing this, too.

The problem, of course, is that copyright law in most countries is now
so restrictive that the moment you doodle something on a napkin, you
own it, you have copyright, and no one may use what you doodled
without your explicit permission.  Nice if you are working for profit,
but society is built on top of the past works of others, and not all
of those works deserve to be kept in a lock box for a century for lack
of licensing terms.

(Of course, I'd prefer that people indicate a GPL-compatible license
or release to the public domain, but mostly I'd like to encourage
people to just be clear.)

[Jeff steps off his soap-box now and returns to productive work.]

--
 Jeff

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20