Jeff Abrahamson on 17 Jun 2004 14:50:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] software licenses

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 10:28:55AM -0400, Dan Widyono wrote (in
private email and in slightly permuted order):
> > (Of course, I'd prefer that people indicate a GPL-compatible license
> > or release to the public domain, but mostly I'd like to encourage
> > people to just be clear.)

> It might help your cause if you include a pointer to a suitable
> license which anyone could use carte-blanche without further ado.
> They could just include the URL.  I, for one, have never looked into
> anything like that so I have no clue where to start.

Dan is quite right, I'm sorry.  Here is a link that explains how to
use the GPL.  It takes a few minutes to peruse if one really wants to
understand, but ultimately comes down to attaching some boilerplate to
what you write.

    http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

In an email it is probably enough to simply state

    This code is copyright (c) <year> by <name> and is available under
    the GPL version 2 or (at your option) later.

You can also put things in the public domain by saying something like
this (IANAL):

    I am the author of this code and I place it in the public domain
    as of today, <date>.

--
 Jeff

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20