Michael C. Toren on 18 Jun 2004 01:47:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] software licenses

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 10:16:47AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I have become frustrated with the amount of code on the web that has
> no explicit license attached to it.  Most often this appears in code
> that people post in email messages that then become archived.

Out of curiosity, how large are the snippets of code you're referring to?

> (Of course, I'd prefer that people indicate a GPL-compatible license
> or release to the public domain, but mostly I'd like to encourage
> people to just be clear.)

FYI, it seems that it may not be possible for an author to place his work in
the public domain, even if he states that the work is in the public domain.
<http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Licensing_and_Law/public-domain.html> contains a
good deal of information on this topic, and is a very, very interesting read,
along with the rest of <http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Licensing_and_Law/>.

-mct