Stephen Gran on 23 Jun 2004 13:27:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon dsl send mail

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 07:17:20PM -0700, sandy Bee said:
> --- Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:21:59AM -0700, sandy Bee said:
> > > I just signed up with verizon for dsl.  I can fetch mail with
> > > fetchmail, and I can use the web.  I cannot get my SMTP , exim, to
> > > work.  I get authorization errors.  Could some one please help.  I
> > > use debian.  truly, sandy
> >
> > Unfortunately, we'll need more than that to really help you.  I am
> > assuming that Verizon needs authenticated SMTP even from addresses
> > that they serve?  That is a little strange, but not unlikely.  If
> > that is the case, what version of exim are you running?  That will
> > make a big difference in how to set up client auth smtp - v3 and v4
> > are fairly different.
>
> I am using version 3

OK, I'll try to refresh my memory of exim v3, then.

In the Tranports section of /etc/exim/exim.conf, find the transport
remote-smtp, and make sure it looks like this:

remote_smtp:
  driver = smtp
  authenticate_hosts = whatever.verizon.told.you

In the routers, make sure you have this:

smarthost:
  driver = domainlist
  transport = remote_smtp
  route_list = "* whatever.verizon.told.you bydns_a"

Then, in the authentication section at the end, you need something like this:

plain:
  driver = plaintext
  public_name = PLAIN
  client_send = "^username^password"

That's for plain auth, you could also use login or other types - there
are examples in the config file.

Replace whatever.verizon.told.you with the outgoing mail server
(presumably smtp.verizon.net or something, but I don't know), and
replace username and password in the auth part with their respective
values.  After that reload exim (/etc/init.d/exim reload) and it should
work.  If not, write back and we'll set up a debugging session to see
what's failing.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Any girl can be glamorous; all you have |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | to do is stand still and look stupid.   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | -- Hedy Lamarr                          |