Stephen Gran on 23 Jun 2004 16:58:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon dsl send mail

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:35:03AM -0700, sandy Bee said:
> I called verizon to ask what to use as their authorization address.
> they could not tell me.  I also have not been able to figure out
> what to put in as the client password.  I tried using exim4 since I
> read on the internet that someone had used that successfuly with
> verizon dsl that also  failed for me.  sandy

You need to use the same username/password pair that you use for
fetchmail, presumably, and what you want to find out is the name of the
outgoing mail server.  I assume this is something like mail.verizon.net
or smtp.verizon.net, as that's a fairly standard set up.  Both exim3 and
exim4 support client side smtp auth.

What you need to ask verizon is not what their 'authorization address'
is, but what to use as your outgoing mail server.  Changing versions of
your MTA software is not to likely to produce any change if you don't
know where to route the mail to.  Exim4 is *much* nicer than exim3,
but the set up is different.  Be prepared to rewrite your config files
if you really want to upgrade.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Those who educate children well are     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | more to be honored than parents, for    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | these only gave life, those the art of  |
|  			         | living well.   -- Aristotle             |