Michael C. Toren on 23 Jun 2004 23:26:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] UG Meeting room: Recommendations for Finding One

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 03:14:59PM -0400, David Kaplowitz wrote:
> I work at Villanova and inquired therein, but was asked to provide a
> $1,000,000.00 insurance liability certificate and a $100. fee for the
> room (for half a day), which does not meet our "free" requirement. So
> my question to you, PLUG, who were once a tiny group of enthusiasts in
> the same position we are, can any of you recommend how I might go
> about finding a meeting place that meets our requirements? Any good
> anecdotes from when you guys were in your inception?

This has been somewhat problematic for PLUG, too.  For a long time we
met at The Cyberloft on Walnut Street in Center City, but when the owner
moved to California we were forced to find a new location.  Before we
were offered space at USP and settled in, there were a number of long
threads on the list debating where we should end up.  Some notes were
taken during this time (<http://www.phillylinux.org/locations.html>) of
alternative meeting locations which maybe of interest to you, however
please be aware that most of the information is very outdated at this
point.

Also of interest to you may be Rick Moen's "Recipe for a Successful
Linux User Group" (<http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Linux_PR/newlug.html>).
Even through you're speaking of a *BSD group, it contains a number of
good ideas for user groups in general.

Good luck, and please keep PLUG informed of your progress!

Thanks,
-mct

--
perl -e'$u="\4\5\6";sub H{8*($_[1]%79)+($_[0]%8)}sub G{vec$u,H(@_),1}sub S{vec