William H. Magill on 25 Jun 2004 13:45:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] UG Meeting room: Recommendations for Finding One

On 24 Jun, 2004, at 08:10, Magnus Hedemark wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Michael C. Toren wrote:
Also of interest to you may be Rick Moen's "Recipe for a Successful
Linux User Group" (<http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Linux_PR/newlug.html>).
Even through you're speaking of a *BSD group, it contains a number of
good ideas for user groups in general.

Some comments on Rick's ideas. Rick has mostly very good ideas here, but
I think he missed some things and others I disagree with completely. My
basis for this is my participation in TriLUG (http://trilug.org) as both a
member and previous co-chair.

I've been involved with "Local" user groups for a long time from RCA to DECUS to an assortment of other non-computing organizations. The key word here is "LOCAL."

The important thing to remember with ANY "Local User Group" is ... "Your milage may vary."

What works in one area won't work in another.

I do not doubt that the Triangle Research Park area has a very different interest level and user profile than the Philadelphia area... the two ares are radically different -- in just their concentration of technical people alone.

As for Villanova's "bond" requirements -- that is not unusual today. Universities look for ways to both generate "outside" income and to limit their liability. I was at Penn for 30 years and watched the attitudes and realities surrounding facilities usage change pretty dramatically over that period.

The usual "trick" is that you have to know WHO to ask and how. When you go to the "front desk" and ask about how to use a University facility for a non-University sponsored function, you will immediately see dollar signs form in their eyes. ("Student Activity" facilities are notorious for this.) You will get the official Policy statement. They are willing to do it, but it will cost you -- unless you have your letter from the Student Governing Council certifying that you are a legitimate (i.e. recognized by the council) student organization. The particular facility you desire to use will also effect the cost and availability issue -- it's frequently "trivial" to get classroom space; fairly easy to get a lecture hall; but next to impossible to get an auditorium. And, if you know the proper person to ask, they can either wave certain requirements (like the insurance issue) themselves or can get them waived.

The bond requirements today reflect the concerns over Security, not physical destruction of the property. Virtually every University today has implemented some kind of "wear our ID card around your neck or be confronted," policy. The idea of allowing a bunch of utter unknown individuals into a "restricted" facility becomes a serious liability issue. Sadly, its the nature of the times we live in (and has nothing to do with international terrorism.)

Today, the big problem all "unafiliated" groups face, IS finding "cheap," let alone "free" space for their events. This is probably one of the few significant "perks" Faculty members get, not available to the rest of the staff ... at least up to lecture hall size. So one solution is -- find a faculty sponsor, and space should not be an issue.

BTW: We have free pizza at the PHAD meetings!! -- Philadelphia Area Apple Developers -- but it doesn't make any difference in attendance.

Next PHAD meeting: This coming Monday evening 6/28 - 7:00 also at USP, Griffith Hall - 3rd floor, rm 338)
http://phad.org/

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com