cms on 27 Jun 2004 00:28:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Bounced E-Mails

On Saturday 26 June 2004 16:23, Paul wrote:
> cms wrote:
> >I use a hardware device as a firewall, then a software firewall
>
> I just wanted to comment that I don't believe in double firewalling if
> I'm the one in control of the main firewall.  Why do you use two
> firewalls?  Why would anyone use two firewalls?  (I'm asking because I'm
> open to mind-changing explanations.)

Just because the first, the hardware device, is hidden in a small cavity in
the wall in my basement, where the cable line comes into my house. The cable
modem sits next to it. They're both mounted to the wall next to the circuit
box. The cavity is too small to fit a computer so I bought a 4-port router
(D-Link or Netgear, I can't remember which). I changed the settings (the port,
password, etc.) for obvious reasons. I still keep a software firewall running
just so I can learn how to set it up, change things, etc. No other reason.

Chris Shanahan