Walt Mankowski on 29 Jun 2004 15:25:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Emacs help

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 07:40:03AM -0700, Kyle R. Burton wrote:
> > I am looking for a command that will recursively search the current buffer
> > for a word and insert it at the current cursor position.  For example,
> > when writing code and trying to remember the exact spelling/case of
> > identifiers I would use this command to save me from typos.  In vi I could
> > do this with ^P or ^N (C-P or C-N).
>

> Someone else will probably beat me to this, but there is a feature in
> Emacs that allows you do something similar to ^P/^N ifrom vim:
>
>     ESC / runs the command dabbrev-expand
>      which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `dabbrev'.
>   (dabbrev-expand ARG)
>
> For me it's bound to ATL-/, and I have to load "dabbrev" in my .emacs
> file:
>
>   (load "dabbrev")

Interesting, I don't need to load that explicitly.  Maybe it's getting
loaded by Debian...

> This was the hardest sticking point for me when transitioning from 7+
> years of Vim to using Emacs.  Once I found the ^P/^N replacement I was
> able to switch.

Another fun expansion module is hippie-expand.  It's sort of like
dabbrev-expand on steroids.  It looks for expansions in places other
than your current buffer, such as the file system and abbrevs.

Walt