Paul on 29 Jun 2004 21:01:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Getting Comcast Email on Home Linux Box

Mike Chirico wrote:

If you have Comcast as you ISP and want Email delivered to...

For people who just want to use Comcast's POP and SMTP servers in a more secure mode, I have included my notes for simple changes to allow Mozilla to use SSL. An important thing for users of unsecured wireless networks. Watching a send and receive with Ethereal doesn't reveal my username, password, and messages like it normally would. Config notes for Mozilla 1.7 follow.

Incoming, POP server:
mail.comcast.net
Use secure connection (SSL)
Use secure authentication
(Port changes from 110 to 995.)

Outgoing, SMTP server:
smtp.comcast.net
Use name & password
Use secure connection: SSL
(Port changes from 25 to 465.)

Recently I ran into to trouble using this configuration through a corporate VPN. They allow unsecured e-mail, but seem to block SSL e-mail. Hmm. (I also had trouble running the corporate VPN through my wireless VPN. Again, I had to switch back to unsecured wireless to get the corporate VPN to work. Hmmm.)