Art Alexion on 7 Jul 2004 12:58:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cd burning on a samba burner

Greg Lopp wrote:

Art Alexion wrote:

Is there a way to get any Linux CD burning software to recognize and use a CD writer that is actually attached to a windows PC on a samba network?

Since burning a CD is fundamentally different than a simple write
to an HD, this is unlikely. Writing to an HD is something that
passes down through the kernel, learning what fs the given volume
is using and therefore what needs to be written in addition to
just your data....but you don't care about all that. You just
tell the system to write something and it handles the details.
With a CD burner on the other hand, you use A) an application
which knows what additional data needs to be written (mkisofs for
example) and B) an application which knows how to talk to the
firmware of your specific burner (like cdrdao or cdrecord).

Samba only allows you to see that there are remote volumes. You
can't see what fs they use (only the remote kernel needs to know
that) You only need to speak samba to write to the remote
volume. Samba does not speak firmware commands.

I see. The design of Samba which relies on the remote kernel to write to its volumes prevents this from working because cd burner software bypasses the kernel and writes to the cd by making calls to the burner's firmware. Do I have it right?

--

art Alexion